baslinux - Re: [BL] DOS & Shell Scripting Guide 40

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] DOS & Shell Scripting Guide 40
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:59:48 +0000

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 08:55:52AM +1100, Ron Clarke wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 04:57:48 +0000
> Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've almost completed sfm (simple file manager) version 0.1 :-)

Here's an outline: You hit "t" (an alias: file [t]ree) and the files in the
directory you are in come up numbered with dirs identified. At the
top are / /bin /etc (etc.) and ".." for parent directory.

Here's my /usr/sbin:

[1] / [2] /bin [3] /dev [4] /etc [5] /home [6] /lib [7] /proc
[8] /root [9] /sbin [10] /usr [11] /var [12] .. [13] cardmgr [14]
chat [15] install-to-hd [16] lsof [17] nc@ [18] pppd [19]
pure-authd [20] pure-ftpd [21] pure-ftpwho [22] pure-mrtginfo [23]
pure-quotacheck [24] pure-uploadscript [25] receive [26] send [27]
tcpdump [28] special/

Enter:

/quote

(Haven't figured out how to neatly format the above without
resorting to utilities not standard to BL. May need to resort to
ansi escapes. On the other hand, you can fit a _lot_ of files on a
single screen without the formatting...)

Then you get a prompt (Enter:). If you enter a number that
corresponds to a directory, the sfm cd's there and runs the above
again.

If you list a bunch of numbers corresponding to files at the prompt
and the first one isn't a directory, the file names (full paths) are
stored for later recall. (if you accidentally include a number corresponding
to a directory in any but the first position, it is ignored)

If you write a command at the prompt in the first position, not a number, then
the entire commandline is interpreted as a regular command, with "%" being
the list of files stored at some previous point.

(Haven't got that last all figured out yet.)

This is not meant to be something you run your box from, or even
keep up all the time. It's just a simple tool for navigating the
file tree and performing basic file ops efficiently. Ctrl-c to
kill it.

> > Went where I usually go when a script stumps me: the Advanced
> > Bash-Scripting Guide by Mendel Cooper et al. Text version is
> > 31,362 lines. I open it in less and just start searching strings
> > that seem relevant to my challenge of the moment.
> >
> > http://gd4.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/LDP/LDP/abs/abs-guide.txt.gz
> >
> > It's not just advanced stuff. All the basics are there too.
>
> Thanks for the link Lee. I got it, and I will read it later. :)

Better brew up a _big_ pot of coffee :-)

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru