baslinux - [BL] DOS & Shell Scripting Guide (was: long file names) 3C

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] DOS & Shell Scripting Guide (was: long file names) 3C
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 04:57:48 +0000

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 10:04:02PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Greg Mayman wrote:
> >
> > the new user doesn't know how to open the editor from
> > CLI level -- sheesh! I don't even know what it is called
> > or what command to enter to invoke it!
>
> Sheesh! It is invoked exactly the same as in DOS:
> -------------
> edit filename
> -------------
> If you actually tried doing stuff at the commandline,
> you might be surprised how similar it is to DOS.

I have heard, though never verified, that the original DOS
was actually a shoddy clone of unix, and the author(s) didn't
want anyone to know they'd cloned unix and so introduced some
changes to make it seem different.

Like \ instead of / to indicate directories, which had some
adverse effects on the OS's functionality.

Ron said bash has been ported to DOS, and that wouldn't be
possible if the kernels weren't very similar, too.

------

I've almost completed sfm (simple file manager) version 0.1 :-)

Went where I usually go when a script stumps me: the Advanced
Bash-Scripting Guide by Mendel Cooper et al. Text version is
31,362 lines. I open it in less and just start searching strings
that seem relevant to my challenge of the moment.

http://gd4.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/LDP/LDP/abs/abs-guide.txt.gz

It's not just advanced stuff. All the basics are there too.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru