baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:00:17 +1300

Greg Mayman wrote:

> mount -t vfat /dev/fd0

That's not a complete mounting command. You are missing
the mountpoint.

> ls /fd
> This gave me a list of the files but with the short filenames.

Because, when you give an incomplete mounting command,
Linux looks in /etc/fstab to see if that device is
listed there. In BL3 /dev/fd0 is listed in /etc/fstab
so Linux uses the data there to mount it. That data
has msdos (not vfat) as the filesystem type.

> mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt
> ls /mnt
> The list of files was now in the longname format.

Since you issued a complete mounting command, Linux did
not have to go to /etc/fstab.