baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 2B

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 2B
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:10:56 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:17:25 +0000
Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:

> > > DOS is M$. Baby Windows.
> >
> > In what way is that ?
>
> Like Steven just said: Windows was built on top of MSDOS.

Yes, it is. Well, at least up to W98. But it was in use well before the
Mac gave Billy thoughts above his station. Hell, even I was using it then.

> > For a sharp guy, there seem to be a few surprising gaps in
> > your knowledge of DOS, be it MS-DOS, PC-DOS, FreeDOS or any of
> > the many other "DOS sets.
>
> I have linux. Why would I waste my time learning about an OS that
> is quite inferior to it?

I would agree with "inferior", but it is still useful for a whole variety
of purposes. I still use it daily - my business runs almost entirely in DOS.

> Plus, I don't like M$ and don't allow any of their OSes on my boxes.

I don't like Micro$oft, either. But I will use whatever tool will get the
job done - although I will have nothing to do with Windows beyond Win3.1,
mainly on philosophical and ethical grounds. But I also saw the hassles my
wife has had with Win95/86/2000/NT/XP and I want no part of that, either.

But I am also finding that DOS and Linux co-exist very happily, and in
what I do they dovetail in together very successfully.

But then, I started with personal computers when there was ONLY DOS, so I
am perfectly comfortable with it.

Regards,
Dinosaur Ron

--