baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 29

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 29
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:09:09 +0000

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 11:15:31AM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:53:08 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > Not being a M$ person, I don't have any idea what you are talking about
> > there.
>
> It's not MicroSoft, it is a feature common to most Disk Operating
> Systems, at least for the IBM and IBM clone computers.

DOS is M$. Baby Windows.

Unix/Linux (and most other OS's) are disk-operating-systems.
Even when they run in RAM they are using virtual disks. When you
capitalize the letters it's M$.

> The filenames are limited to eight characters with a three character
> extension. Files with long filenames have a shorter version attached to
> them to be compatible with this system.

Lost me there.

Mounting.

mount -t vfat device directory

You picked the hard way to learn linux. But it'll pay off in the long run.
I highly recommend the first 10 or so chapters of this course:

wget -O - http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.tar.bz2 | tar -xvvjf -

That'll bring it down and bunzip and untar it and put the files in a directory
called rute.html.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful