baslinux - Re: [BL] nmap and security

  • From: "Samual Acorn" <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] nmap and security
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 04:21:30 -0600

to make your system much more secure than it normally would be a
firewall that drops anything sent to ports 0 through 1024 (the service
ports) and ports 5000 and 6000 would be ideal...

bit of trivia (IIRC anyway.. if ive got this wrong someone please feel
free to correct me); port 0 isnt really a service port but a
'wildcard' port for programmer use... the kernel will (at least in the
days of old) redirect a program that wants to use port 0 to the next
available service port (1 - 1024)... root is the only one that can do
this but thats not to say some script kiddie wont have found something
to do with it in a modern kernel...

On 27/01/07, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> sindi keesan wrote:
>>
>> If I don't run telnetd sshd etc is there any security risk?

> Any security risk? I don't think it's possible to
> be 100% secure on any system. However, your risk
> of remote attack will be very small when you run
> no network daemons. Remember though, X does open
> a port (try running nmap on your ports when X is up)
> and I am not confident that there isn't some feature
> in Opera (for example) that couldn't be harnessed by
> an attacker. For that reason, I do not go online as
> root.

99% of the time I go online with ssh to a shell account, or with lynx, or
links (graphical or not). I can 'su user opera' in the menu.

>From an rxvt I ran nmap and it said I have a port 6000:

6000/tcp open X11?

Is it dangerous to go online from a VT when x11 is running?

> Cheers,
> Steven

baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

--sam