baslinux - Re: [BL] nmap and security 24

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] nmap and security 24
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:28:14 +0000

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 06:38:49AM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> > If I don't run telnetd sshd etc is there any security risk?
>
> Any security risk? I don't think it's possible to
> be 100% secure on any system. However, your risk
> of remote attack will be very small when you run
> no network daemons.

That's helpful.

> Remember though, X does open a port (try running nmap on your
> ports when X is up) and I am not confident that there isn't
> some feature in Opera (for example) that couldn't be harnessed
> by an attacker. For that reason, I do not go online as root.

How about a simple firewall like ipfw? I like running my box
as root to keep things simple. The only user account I have is for
ftp-only logins and the server is run manually, not even in daemon
mode. I probably should somehow deactivate that user account when
it isn't in use.

A note of general caution: Not a good idea to run nmap (or any
port mapper) on your own ISP's domain without checking with them
first. Many ISP TOSes (Terms of Service agreements) have clauses
prohibiting that, the penalty for doing so being termination of
your contract with them.

Port mapping is fascinating and useful for administration purposes,
but it is often the prelude to an attempted breakin (or the like) and
tends to freak administrators and their software out.

I have heard, several times, that it is illegal in the state of
Oregon in the U.S. (not verified)

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful