baslinux - [BL] Cannot use BL2 gs in BL3 and ppp bug in kernel 2.4.31

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Cannot use BL2 gs in BL3 and ppp bug in kernel 2.4.31
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 03:28:49 +0000 (UTC)

I have all the required libraries for gs in BL3 /usr/X11R6/lib including libXt.so.6 (from Steven's x-libs.tgz package, which I notice has larger and probably newer versions of the libraries than I am using, but mine also work - SW3.5 instead of 4.0?)

I copied over the gs 8.50 that I compiled for BL2 and ldd says it has libXt.so.6 (and SM and ICE and Xext which I had already for icewm and opera).

gs: error while loading shared libraries: libXt.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I bet this is because I compiled gs dynamically against the X libraries of BL2 (glibc not libc5). So I would need BL2 to print recent pdf files directly with gs, because the SW4.0 gs does not do gs 1.5. Or use pdftopbm from xpdf 3.0 and pbmtolj.

I will use the SW4.0 gs instead in BL3.
Easier than compiling gs against libc5. It took me a month or more with help for BL2.

I am using BL3 with kernel 2.4.31 and there is a kernel bug which is preventing this Best Data 56K modem from staying connected after dialing. There is also a patch (adding a few lines to the code for ppp - I presume I then recompile the ppp modules with make modules.)

David, could you look into this and perhaps also patch the modules for your 2.4.31 kernels? How do I add a patch the proper way (without a text editor)?

"Couldn't release PPP unit. Invalid argument."

Someone else stayed connected for 3.5 minutes. There were bug reports in many languages and for kernels 2.4 and 2.6.

pppd (static against uclibc, thanks to David Moberg) works perfectly in BL2, booted directly into it or chrooted from BL3. Same kernel and modules (slhc, ppp_generic, ppp_async, for 2.4.31). The bug occurs every time I dial in BL3. What might be different in BL3 that is causing the problem?

I don't know if it affects other modems.

  • [BL] Cannot use BL2 gs in BL3 and ppp bug in kernel 2.4.31, sindi keesan, 01/20/2007