baslinux - Re: [BL] Colors in ls - X rxvt/swm xinitrc +unwanted copies

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Colors in ls - X rxvt/swm xinitrc +unwanted copies
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:10:24 +0000

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 09:59:10AM -0800, David Moberg wrote:

> > I was afraid of that.

> > Didn't work.
>
> Try this:
>
> ls -C | cat
>
> This worked on an earlier version of BL3, but Steven upgraded busybox
> since then so I'm not sure if it still works. It should unless the
> busybox developers changed it. It worked because ls checked if the
> output was going to a terminal, and turned color off if it was not.
>
> A script with just the above (and "$@" to add additional arguments)
> should be smaller and simpler than the full-size ls.

Already have it installed. Tried renaming it and recreating
the link to busybox. Did the above. Worked well, but when
I tried aliases I ran into problems. So it would have to
be a real script. Have to go on the backburner for now.

As an aside, do you have any idea why I keep finding unwanted
copies of files in various directories? I just found one
of /etc/passwd! I didn't even modify that file!

Now I suddenly find _these_ in ~/Mail:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 23 13:18 inbox.idx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1 Dec 23 13:18 inbox.str

The second one has only "^@" in it!!!

Thanks,

Lee

--