baslinux - Re: [BL] text-mode browsers

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] text-mode browsers
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:17:29 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:32:21 -0600
James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:38:35PM -0700, Justin Gombos wrote:
> >
> > Text browsers aren't practical for any kind of general purpose web
> > browsing because so many sites are not designed for them. They're
> > useful for admins who are in a mid-installation pinch because they
> > don't have graphics working yet, but that seems to be the extent of
> > it.
>
> We live on different planets, then. I can't live without text-mode
> browsers. It's
> true that some sites really can't be viewed with text-mode browsers, and
> other sites
> render poorly. But many sites can be browsed, either in full or in part,
> with
> text-mode browsers.

I also use a mixture of text and graphical browsers, depending on the
site(s) I am accessing, and what I am tryong to do at the time. There are
some sites that are so graphic-intense that they take so long to fully load,
and when you are just searching for hyperlinks, then a text browser is a
no-brainer.

This applies equally for DOS (Arachne with/without graphics vs Lynx) and
Linux (Links2ssl vs Phoenix vs Netscape vs Opera vs Links-text vs Dillo).

I guess it depends on what you are used to, and what you want to do. Or,
perhaps, what you are willing to learn - it took me a while to get used to
Lynx but it was worth the effort.

Regards,
Ron

--