baslinux - Re: [BL] Win95/IE vs BL3/Links2 on an old 486 w/ 8MB RAM

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win95/IE vs BL3/Links2 on an old 486 w/ 8MB RAM
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:09:43 +0000 (UTC)

Text browsers aren't practical for any kind of general purpose
web browsing because so many sites are not designed for them.

I use links sometimes for general browsing and it's not
too bad. It's much better than lynx.

I use lynx 99% of the time, with a choice of downloaders including non-graphical and graphical links in case I need to view tables and/or inline graphics. I ssh or telnet to sdf.lonestar.org where I can usually browse much faster than at dialup speeds, but then can't use graphical links. Links2 does a little javascript. Most of the sites I visit don't need it.

Lynx does not make you type in the www. and .com, it guesses for you. Can links be set to do that?

I have the delilinux (libc6) svgalib-capable links2. svgalib which uses less RAM than Xvesa or other X, which are required by links2 provided for BL (I did and posted the calculations once - it might be 1-2MB difference) and works properly in 8-bit color, so would be better for low-ram and low-video-ram situations. Perhaps someone in the list could compile the latest links2 for svgalib, otherwise just add libc6 from SW7.1 or 8.1 or 9.0. The delilinux version needs libraries libjpeg, libtiff, libpng, as well as libvga, libvgagl from the svgalib package. (You don't need most of the packages such as *.a *.la libraries and all the executables and documentation).

If you have svgalib, links and lynx non-graphical can use zgv instead of xli, also with less RAM than Xvesa.

I use a swapfile instead of a swap partition on low-RAM laptops because I tend to use up all four available primary partitions.