baslinux - Re: [BL] Win95/IE vs BL3/Links2 on an old 486 w/ 8MB RAM

  • From: Justin Gombos <mindfuq AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win95/IE vs BL3/Links2 on an old 486 w/ 8MB RAM
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:38:35 -0700

* sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> [2006-11-20 23:17]:

> Xvesa does not work properly with 8-bit color. You can try a larger X
> server such as SVGA. Steven posted a default XF86Config for up to
> 800x600x256 colors.

If I fatten the X server, it will hinder the graphical browsers even
more. It just seems there is no practical way to browse graphically
with 8MB of RAM.

One potentially interesting test I overlooked was to try FreeBSD
2.2.9, which supposedly runs on 8MB of ram. Though I reckon it will
be more of the same problems.

> Try non-graphical links with xli in linux as the viewer (click on an
> image to view it). Uses less RAM.

Text browsers aren't practical for any kind of general purpose web
browsing because so many sites are not designed for them. They're
useful for admins who are in a mid-installation pinch because they
don't have graphics working yet, but that seems to be the extent of
it.

BTW, the IE tests I posted earlier were done with IE 3.0. And I
forgot to mention that most of the links on Toms Hardware were
unresponsive to clicks in IE.