baslinux - Re: [BL] Can BL copy Win98?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can BL copy Win98?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:10:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, John Beck wrote:

I'd use dd (disk dump) to clone HD to HD.

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

If dd isn't available for BL3, I'll snag the source and make a package
in the next few days, I usually just boot off a knoppix cd and do it
that way.

I have used dd in BL3 to make a swapfile. Thanks.
WOuld this copy linux between drives faster than cp -a * ?

We have about 10 extra 166-233MHz computers that I would rather share than recycle. I offered one free to the local freecycle group with linux and Opera but the two people who responded want computers for their kids to use for school. We have a bunch of 340 and 500MB drives. Does Win98 have an equivalent of Xvesa? Some Trident PCI cards work, some don't, same driver. (They all work in linux with Xvesa).

I hate Windows (TM) but this will be less painful than install from CD.

sindi keesan wrote:
We were unable to copy Win98 between hard drives using DOS and boot the
result. Might be something about the hidden files.

Would cp -a /hd/* . (after mounting both drives and cd'ing to target)
clone a Win98 hard drive after formatting to FAT32?