baslinux - Re: [BL] nmap

  • From: John Beck <john AT johnbeck.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] nmap
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:28:11 -0500

Nmap is a network port scanner tool, great for quick ping sweeps on YOUR own network to find unused IP addresses. It can also be used to identify open ports and services on remote hosts/networks. If you use nmap against the wrong network you could find yourself getting a visit from the FBI.

to find an which ip's are used on your network (192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0) example

# nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24

I use nmap every day for security audits on my companies networks.

-John

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
Samual Acorn wrote:
to -all- the bl listers... -please- PLEASE play nice when using this thing...

I've been using it to scan my own ethernet network.
It tells me which systems are up. Works on localhost, too.

for your own sake -dont- scan a server/system that doesnt belong to you or dont have permission to scan....

You're making it sound like nmap is a naughty program.
Is it?