baslinux - Re: [BL] nmap

  • From: "Samual Acorn" <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] nmap
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 21:29:30 -0600

On 01/11/06, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org <3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
Samual Acorn wrote:

> to -all- the bl listers... -please- PLEASE play nice when
> using this thing...

I've been using it to scan my own ethernet network.
It tells me which systems are up. Works on localhost,
too.

i use it on my own network too... handy to see what ports are open and
what arent (firewall testing)

> for your own sake -dont- scan a server/system that doesnt
> belong to you or dont have permission to scan....

You're making it sound like nmap is a naughty program.
Is it?

it can be.... considering its TCP/IP fingerprinting function (to see
what the scanned machine is), its ultraslow portscanning option (dont
want anyone on the recieveing end getting suspicious do we?), stealth
scanning options (obvious purpose) among other things...

its like a powertool... you can build things but you can also break
things... so caution is needed...

baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

--sam
--