baslinux - Re: [BL] note to sindi....

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] note to sindi....
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:42:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Samual Acorn wrote:

....as far as AWE32 problems go i cant help you anymore... ive taken
the AWE out of my system and put the SB16 back in.... why? for some
odd reason that awe card gives my computer a serious case of the
hiccups (spontaneous reboots) and random problems with the second ide
controller not liking certain cdrom drives.... my gut thinks that
because there is no jumper to disable the panasonic/mitsumi/sony cdrom
connectors (like there is on the sb16) that thats where my secondary
ide weirdnesses are coming from (if i enable, say, the panasonic
interface on the sb16 card im using now the second ide quits working
all together or works -very- strangely)... for all i know the awe
might have all 3 (sony mitsumi and panasonic) enabled with no way of
disabling them...

I was able to disable the onboard controllers in DOS using CTCU/CTCM.
isapnp should be able to do something similar.

as far as the random reboots... well... im not sure if its the
physical damage the card endured in the shop i bought it at (none of
the traces look broken but that doesnt rule out any ESD damage) or
again.. an unseen conflict with the second ide...

but with the awe i cant get my system to run for more than 2 days (and
thats pushing it) and im tired of seeing fsck fix my harddrives (who
knows what data im loosing) but the sb16 will let me run this system
for months on end (or until the power company hiccups)

I never heard of such a problem with sound cards before. Interesting.

and since 99.9% of what i listen to goes to the DAC anyway
(ogg/mp3/xm/it/s3m/mod) and with timidity installed (using the same
soundfont i was loading into the awe) i dont need the awe....

Timidity does sound much better than awe. How did you load an .sf2 or .sbk sound font for timidity, which Ron set up with .pat files?

Could I substitute some larger .pat files for the small ones in GUS2 (violin, for instance), taking them from other sources?

interesting to note tho... without the awe the only midi device i have
to choose from when using '-e' with playmidi is the external port ;)
You probably did not insmod opl3.

... might want to hunt down some old hardware jumpered sb16 cards...
might make life a little easier... the cards built in volume slider
comes in quite handy at times too... (its where the line out jack is
on awe cards)

I have several of those (CT1740?), also some SBPRO (CT1600). I have at least 10 SB16 cards in case you ever need one. 2940 2960 4170 4180...
The IDE controllers are not a problem if I boot from DOS after disabling the controllers with CTCU. I might switch to a 1740 and timidity to use the vol control, thanks for the idea.

also interesting to note; with the sb16 i dont hear the noise of the
data flowing over the network like i could with the awe... (conflict?
card damage? at this point i dont care anymore... i dont have to hear
it)

I don't think I heard this noise.

--sam