baslinux - Re: [BL] note to sindi....

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] note to sindi....
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 07:55:14 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 02:58:52 -0500
"Samual Acorn" <sam.acorn AT gmail.com> wrote:

> > Timidity does sound much better than awe. How did you load an .sf2 or
> > .sbk sound font for timidity, which Ron set up with .pat files?
>
> well... from what i read between you and ron he used an old copy of
> timidity from slackware 4....

Nope. I used a relatively new version of the source, and compiled it in
BL3.4.

> why dont you download fasttracker or something similar and make music
> using it rather than using midi?... at least that way other ppl that
> play your songs will hear them the same way you did when you composed
> them... could even include vocals and completely custom instruments
> not found in any gus patch or soundfont....
>
> give this song a listen;
> http://www.modarchive.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi?W/wb_voice.xm
>
> if the link doesnt work search for 'world of voices' on www.modarchive.com
>
> every instrument in that song (even in the part in the middle that
> sounds technoish) was custom made from the two artists own voices...
> something i didnt believe (the techno part anyway) at first till i
> listened to each sample in fasttracker... you cant do stuff like this
> with midi...

Timidity plays .mod files too. And so does xmp. But mods are quite
different to MIDI in almost every way. If you want to hear MIDIs as they
sound "at source" then they can be converted to .wav then .mp3.
Timidity can do the MIDI to wav stuff from the commandline, and bladenc will
convert to mp3 (including tags).
I have done a lot of this in BL2 (some on my website) using some easy
scripts, but I haven't yet tried it in BL3.

I will see if I can get a copy of bladenc (or lame) that runs in BL3.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke