baslinux - Re: [BL] passwords

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] passwords
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 03:32:49 -0500 (CDT)

This is an interesting addition, Steven. Thanks for adding it. Could you provide some directives on how these could/should be used? For example, would you foresee BL users creating an unpriviledged user who might invoke Opera or other internet programs when those need to be run? That seems like it might provide the easiest way to use these utilities. Since BL3 has no login--or rather is set to auto-login root--there seems no way to log into a BL session as such a user. Or, additionally, is there some way the system can be tweaked so that a login prompt appears on boot? I suppose, since su is included, a user could initiate a BL session in the normal way (hit enter to activate the console) and then su to the unpriviledged user, then startx and run other programs. Would something like that work as well? Any problems one might encounter trying to run any binaries as this unpriviledged user? Anyway, this looks like a good enhancement to me.

Thanks, James