baslinux - [BL] mutt and pmail both work in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] mutt and pmail both work in BL3.40
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 04:12:53 +0000 (UTC)

I copied my laptop setup for BL3.40 on top of my desktop BL3.32 and most things kept working. I undid the change away from Xvesa but forgot to change to serial mouse and that corrupted xinit but I replaced it.

I changed fstab from hda2 to sda1 and similarly for the boot files, and amount of ram (mem=*M in the boot file).

I copied the pmail setup on top of my mutt setup, which I had installed over the pmail setup. I think they both use .pmailrc and in BL2 and I think in BL3.32 I could not get pmail to work any more after installing the BL3 mutt package because it change .pmailrc to a different format.

To my surprise, I have them both working in BL3.40 but this was not until I modified 'mu' and added a $1 at the end of it. I can now type mu a AT b.c and get a screen with the To: line already filled in, Enter key to get the Subject line which I then fill in, write a mail and send it and it gets sent instead of an error message.

Before I modified mu I got an error message about child and 27 or 127 when I tried to send anything. I just got a mail here that I sent with pmail.

Has anyone else been unable to use pmail after installing the old BL3 or BL2 mutt packages?

Steven, did you change anything in the mail setup?

Is there any simple way to attach a base-64 encoded file to a message with pmail? That is all I use mutt for in BL (because I don't use pop mail, I write most mails at a shell account with pine, or with mutt there) and it is a large package. I have uuencode but not all email programs can read that easily. What I would need is some binary to base64 encoder and then probably import the encoded file into my message somehow.

I have this package posted at my site. The newer one had the wrong binary and Steven dropped it. It includes lots of extra things like catdoc and setfont which are useful for reading WORD files or writing Czech.

The Slovene job seems to absolutely require producing WORD files so I declined it. Good luck to them in finding a native speaker of English with good Slovene and an understanding of medical technology, who meets their major requirement, using MS WORD.

BL3.40 works fine booted with loadlin from a scsi drive, and BL2 is working on this drive with scanner and scsi zip drive. Boot takes a bit longer but I think it runs faster.