baslinux - Re: [BL] How to login to SW10.2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to login to SW10.2
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 00:21:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

We installed SW10.2 to try out gimp-print and whatever else it has to
offer. It had less trouble booting after we removepkg'ed hotplug, but
what do we enter at the Login: prompt?

We did not install the shadow package.

We tried root, ROOT, and Enter key. What file do we look in to find the
password or to add the password?

Darkstar Login:

We can chroot to it from BL3 and it does not ask us to login.

Reinstalling a smaller (minimal) version, I think it was all of the 'basic' package, in another partition, produced a Slackware 10.2 that allows logins as 'root'.

Copying over the file '/etc/shadow' did not fix the problem. I suggested installing shadow.tgz but my partner wanted to 'save time'. This lets us remove a bunch of packages now.

He 'reinstalled the basic' (73MB of packages) over the original installation and that fixed the problem. Now we have the hotplug boot problem again and have to remove that package again.

I just deleted 35MB of /usr/share/locale - enough space to run a nice BL3.
We are under 400MB without sound, source, kernel source, compiler, or most X applications. Better than non-Slackware linuxes.

BL was 100 times easier to install and booted properly by default.
SW10.2 installer could not find our newish CD-ROM drive on the first few tries (though we were installing from the CD at the time).