baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 hard drive installation

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 hard drive installation
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 06:24:29 +1200

Raymond Nelson wrote:

> I have downloaded bl3 and have installed it in ram on my
> Toshiba Satellite 110ct with no problems.
> The problem is that I can't install it on my harddrive.
>
> I have run fdisk and have partitions hda1, hda2, hda5
> and hda6 on my laptop.

On which of those partitions do you want to put BL3 ?

> I have run mke2fs, but am not sure of the details following
> the command.

Before you use mke2fs, you need to make sure your target
partition is a Linux partition:
--------
fdisk -l
--------
If your target partition is not a Linux partition, use
fdisk to change partition's system ID.

> As far as I know, BL3 is loaded in /dev/ram0 and not on
> the hard drive.

Yes, the floppy version of BL3 runs in a temporary ramdisk.

> it says to mount partition at /hd (I'm guessing /hd is a directory)

Yes, /hd is a directory. If you do "dir /hd", you will see
it is currently empty.

> but the only /hd directory is in /dev/ram0: in RAM.

Yes, /hd is a directory of the root filesystem, and the
root filesystem is currently in RAM.

> How do you mount the partition at /hd when there is no
> directories in the partions created when running fdisk.

/hd is the mount-point (it is irrelevant that it happens
to be in RAM). To access a floppy or HD, there must be a
mount-point, i.e. a directory that holds the filesystem
(files and directories) from the floppy or HD.

> I have typed at the prompt, mount /hd

That tells BL3 to mount something at /hd but BL3 doesn't
know what you want to mount there. You need to specify
which partition to mount. For example:
--------------------
mount /dev/hda1 /hd # attaches the filesystem from hda1
mount /dev/hda2 /hd # attaches the filesystem from hda2
mount /dev/hda5 /hd # attaches the filesystem from hda5
mount /dev/hda6 /hd # attaches the filesystem from hda6
--------------------
Which filesystem do you want?
Only one at a time can be mounted at /hd

But before you worry about mounting, you need to put a
filesystem on your target partition. mke2fs does that.
But you need to tell it exactly which partition to put
the filesystem on (be careful -- mke2fs erases everything
on the partition you specify).

So we get back to my very first question: on which HD
partition do you want to install BL3? Are you sure there
is nothing on that partition you want to save?