baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 and qemu summary

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 and qemu summary
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 20:02:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, James Miller wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

Could Steven or someone post the relevant information about where to get
the binary and what other libraries are needed with it, and how to use it
with FreeDOS and Win98? It is scattered among many postings. Also the
Here is the original post:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-April/010133.html

To restate the directions, you need these files from Slackware 9.0:

-------------------------------
l/glibc-solibs-2.3.1-i386-3.tgz
l/zlib-1.1.4-i386-3.tgz
I used SW10.2 glibc 2.3.5 and just libz file (I compiled my own at one point for use with lynx)

l/sdl-1.2.5-i386-1.tgz
Just libSDL (and symlink) from SW9.1 - 396K

l/esound-0.2.29-i386-1.tgz
l/arts-1.1-i386-2.tgz
l/audiofile-0.2.3-i386-3.tgz

None of these, but I did need libasound from SW9.1 alsa-libs*tgz with symlink (657K), required by libSDL.

-------------------------------

In addition, you need libXext. Get it from Steven's BL3 icewm.tgz
package if you don't already have it.
Got it, also needed for Opera.

The QEMU binary is available from its website:
<http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/>. I recommend the latest release
(0.8.0).
Installed it but then deleted all but three files in /usr/local/bin which pertained to non x86 hardware.

Install all 8 of these packages in BL3 with the 'pkg' command, then
I am using BL2.1 not BL3.

start up X and execute qemu from an rxvt. For example, if you have a
DOS boot disk image:

---------------------
qemu -fda FreeDOS.img
---------------------

bunzip2 freedos.img.bz2 (for the image from the qemu site) which expanded to about 10MB.

(This should also work with my USB camera floppy image, although I
haven't tested this yet.)
Me neither.

qemu -fda freedos.img

It seems to have worked on first glance:

A few lines about Bochs and cirrus-compatible VGA is detected.

Data1 master: QEMU CD-ROM ATAPI-4 CD-Rom/DVD-ROM
Data1 slave: Unknown device

Booting from Floppy...
F1 . . . Dos
Default: F1
F1 . . . Dos
Default: F?

Now everything is frozen up - none of the keys on my keyboard work.

I switched VTs and back and now I see:

Warning: could not create temporary file in '/dev/shm'
Use QEMU_TMPDIR to select a directory in a tmpfs filesystem.
Using '/tmp' as fallback. (I did not specify where to make temp files)
Vesafb does not support changing the video mode.
Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated.
(This is because I am not using the accelerator, which needs kernel 2.4 - which I have and so might try it some day).

I can type now.

Ctrl-C exits.

qemu with -nographic just brought me to the above message directly, with frozen keyboard and this time switching VTs does not fix it. Or Ctrl-C.
I killed the process kill -9.

Running it under X gives the exact same results in an rxvt instead.
David said this would let me use Alt-F1 etc in WP51/DOS.

If I type F2 I get a series of the above message again with F1 or F? changed to F2, similarly for F3. Typing F1 changes them all to F?

The documentation is rather large and I don't understand most of it.
What do I do to actually run DOS?

Left click tells me to press Ctrl-Alt to exit grab (in the rxvt top line).

I am running in framebuffer 800x600 mode.

The static BL sqlite segfaults with glibc 2.3.5. The precompiled one that needs glibc 2.3 does not and is much smaller. Steven, how did you compile Abiword and sqlite such that they won't run with glibc 2.3.2 or later, is this some sort of introduced library bug? Xvesa still works (the BL3 Xvesa, in BL2).

WHen I installed qemu package I deleted most of what is in /usr/local/bin except qemu, qemu-i386 and qemu-img. This leaves /usr/local/share/qemu/*.bin - what are these files for? Do I need ppc_rom.bin, the largest? The rest might total 300K.

If you make a hard disk image with dd (large enough to install Windows
98 to), and you have the Windows 98 CD in a CD-ROM drive, you can use
something like this:

qemu -cdrom /dev/hdc -hda DISK_IMAGE -boot d

This will boot from the Windows 98 setup CD if it is in /dev/hdc.

To use James' BL3.4 QEMU image after you unzip it (available from his
site or the BL site):

qemu -hda BL3.4-qemu.img

David