baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer 1.0pre7try2

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer 1.0pre7try2
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 16:54:37 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> How and where would I put the fonts needed for English subtitles?
> If the instructions mentioned this I missed it.

The instructions are quite confusing. In fact, I was not aware of
how to see subtitles until very recently.

Download fonts from here:

http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Arial - Western is for English, Spanish, French, etc. Inside the
tarball, you will find the font.desc and *.raw files. MPlayer
looks for these files in ~/.mplayer/font/. e.g.
~/.mplayer/font/font.desc is where it expects to find font.desc.
It searches /root/.mplayer/font if you are root.

If you have already used mplayer, it has probably made a
symlink in /root/.mplayer/font. You can either remove it and
replace with a real directory, or put the fonts into the symlinked
directory.

Once mplayer can find the fonts, you can just add '-slang xx',
where xx is the standard two-letter code of the desired language,
and you should see subtitles.

David