baslinux - Re: [BL] BL-3.40 and Lucent linmodems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL-3.40 and Lucent linmodems
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:57:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The libc5 xfbdev is nearly 1MB, and the two glibc files add another 110K.
Would it be smaller statically compiled against uclibc

It would be about 50k smaller than the BL3 Xvesa -- Xfbdev = Xvesa -
libvesa.a + libfb.a? Anyway, the code to talk to the Linux framebuffer
driver is smaller than code to try to get a VESA BIOS to behave.

and is this something I might be able to do?

X is tricky to compile. You can try it if you want, but you'll need to
download a lot of source code. I may try sometime later.

Did you somehow compile statically against libc.so.5?

I appear to have linked it somehow with libc.a (static) instead of
libc.so.5. I don't know how this happened... perhaps I accidently
stripped libc and therefore removed the symbols from it that were
needed to compile so gcc used libc.a instead.

Maybe you could make a completely static libc5 version, if not a static uclibc version, so we would not need to add libm.so.5 and ld-linux-so.1 to BL2.

I don't recall any crashes with 2.2.16, with Tseng video card (which
crashes with Xvesa).

Did you try switching consoles while X was running? It might
have been a problem with my hardware.

I will try this soon. I have two Tseng cards that crash with Xvesa, do only 8-bit color with SVGA X, but work fine with xfbdev (not at 1280 because of the 8-bit color limitation and they have only 2M video RAM).
I will put back libm.so.5 and ld-linux on those two computers.

Because I am sort of stuck using xfbdev on these two computers, I would appreciate if someone could get fbset to work so I can choose resolutions of X. I use the Tseng cards because they are PCI and my AGP cards won't collaborate with my MGA cards (to use TTL monitor as second monitor). David compiled an fbset and there is also one in busybox 1.01 as compiled with glibc and neither of them do anything for me except display current mode or other possible modes - they don't switch resolutions.

A stopgap measure is when browsing to use Opera's zoom feature to get more on a page if I encounter a 1280 website and am in 800 mode so I can read the framebuffer text.

David