baslinux - Re: [BL] BL-3.40 and Lucent linmodems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL-3.40 and Lucent linmodems
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:38:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

Ken Martwick wrote:

One of the motivations, besides the challenge itself, was to try to get
the Lucent modem working under BL 3. There were a few problems, but the
highly-automated build script finally worked well.

<snip>

It all seems to work fine, though I have not yet gotten X to work.

Do you want to share the modules that you have built with us? If
you have no place to host them, you can email them to me.

Is there aversion of Xfbdev that can be used?

You can download one from Sindi's site:
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/xfbdev

This is a version that I compiled some time ago, for experimental
use with framebuffer kernels. IIRC it crashed a lot with 2.2.16
but I think that was due to bugs in the x.16 framebuffer driver.
It should work well with BL3.4; by some quirk of the way I
compiled it, it only needs /lib/ld-linux.so.1 and libm.so.5. You
also need to be in framebuffer mode for it to work, of course.

I had been using this xfbdev in BL2. I just deleted libc5.so.5 and libm.so.5 and ld-linux.so.1 after replacing libc5 netpbm with libc6 netpbm that I compiled. You are right, it needs these two files so I just
put them back (copied from BL3).

The libc5 xfbdev is nearly 1MB, and the two glibc files add another 110K. Would it be smaller statically compiled against uclibc and is this something I might be able to do? Did you somehow compile statically against libc.so.5?

I don't recall any crashes with 2.2.16, with Tseng video card (which crashes with Xvesa).

Are you booting DOS without config.sys or autoexec.bat?
Xvesa has been known to shatter into a thousand pieces
if it is used with loadlin and certain memory managers. I'm
not sure if Xfbdev suffers from the same problem.

I boot with DOS 7.10 standalone and memory managers. himem.sys caused problems on one Compaq computer with BL3.40 but not other versions. (I did not check with 2.4.31 kernel).

David