baslinux - Re: [BL] x on bl2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] x on bl2
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:05:32 +0000 (UTC)

Install the S3 server (something like xs3.tgz), which links X to X_S3,
or xsvga.tgz (?) for X_SVGA, generic VESA.

Run xf86config to create the appropriate XF86Config. Ask here if you need help with the details. Use the defaults. At one point you will have to choose resolutions - set it to use 1024, then 800, then 640, in that order, at however many colors your card supports (it depends on the amount of video RAM, and with 2MB you should be able to get 16K color depth at 1024).

You need to look up online or in a manual the horizontal sync and vertical frequency ranges of your monitor. My 15" monitors do 31.5 to between 49.0 and 54.0, and 50-90. If you can't find them, experiment with the above numbers. Start high, and if you get a black screen, lower the second number gradually until it works, if you don't know the actual figures. Or start low and if you are satisfied with the resolution, just use what works. Or try first 49, if that works try 54, if that gives a black screen try 51, etc.

You can edit XF86Config to change these numbers, without needing to keep using xf86config (just use that the first time). You can also change resolution and color depth by editing.

All my 15" monitors can do 1024 resolution, and with older PCI S3 cards also 1280. I don't have any new S3 cards, but other brands of newer cards need a 17" monitor to do 1280 because they need a higher horizsync rate (56 or more).

Steven posted a basic XF86Config for 256 colors and 800 resolution, generic.