baslinux - Re: [BL] gopher

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] gopher
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 02:07:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

On 1/4/06, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
Does BL3 have any way to access gopher space?

Lynx works, links and wget do not (at sdf) or maybe I need to use them
differently.

Well, there's always the crude method:

To download gopher://freeshell.org/users/pigpen/README to
the current directory (overwriting any file named README):

echo /users/pigpen/README | nc freeshell.org 70 >README

That works perfectly! Is 70 a port?
How exactly does the above work?

Maybe this could be made into a shell script.

'gopher'
echo $1 | nc $2 > $3

gopher /users/pigpen/README freeshell.org README

gopher /users/pigpen/* freeshell.org README

If I leave out the file name, and use your echo script directly, it downloads a list of what is in pigpen:

ipigpen's gopher place /users/pigpen/fake sdf.lonestar.org 70
i--------------------- /users/pigpen/fake sdf.lonestar.org 70
0README /users/pigpen/README sdf.lonestar.org 70 *
1pigpen /users/pigpen/pigpen sdf.lonestar.org 70 *

Are these two files? How can we tell the file size before downloading?

I can get 100MB free gopherspace here to post BL files.
Does it download any faster than http?

It might be a little faster.
Any drawbacks?

I wonder why busybox and links don't do gopher.

David