baslinux - Re: [BL] GRUB to boot BL?

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GRUB to boot BL?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:27:42 -0500

James Miller wrote:

I recently was forced to find a way to boot my firewall/router system (Freesco) using the GRUB bootloader. Freesco used to run only on UMSDOS, but the last release made it possible to run from an ext2 partition. With that change came also the appearance of the LILO bootloader to boot the system with. I had many problems with installing LILO on my Freesco system, and when I went to upgrade the HD in that machine recently (it's my local fileserver, too), I simply could not get LILO to boot the system any more. After a good deal of research and experimentation I was able to boot the system with GRUB, first by using a GRUB boot floppy, then by installing GRUB to the HD from the GRUB boot floppy. It doesn't give the full install of GRUB, but it's enough of GRUB for probably 98% of the population's use. If this seems like something useful or desireable for BL, I think I could easily adapt those instructions for use with BL. Is there any interest on the part of BL users in using the GRUB bootloader? Let me know, and I'll put together a how to.

James

Hi James,

I think lilo works just fine for most members of the BasicLinux community, but a simple how-to showing people how to use it with GRUB would be nice too. I've set up BasicLinux and BLAG Linux together before and let BLAG Linux boot BasicLinux using GRUB. It's not too hard, so a simple how-to would definitely be a good thing for the general BL community.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement