baslinux - Re: [BL] need to install sound

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] need to install sound
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:49:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Kunle 'bona wrote:

i suspect my device might actually be at fault, when i try to load sb.o, all the other required modules are loaded but i get a resource busy message for sb; anyway i tried to play the default sound that comes with sox and i got the message "cannot open /dev/dsp device not found" even though i can see it with "ls -l /dev/dsp"

I get the same message if I have not loaded sb.o. You have not loaded sb.o because you don't have an sb sound chip. The 'resource busy' message means the modules cannot find sb hardware.

Can you look at your sound chip to identify it? Can you run a DOS hardware identification program - other list members suggested hwinfo and nssi (shareware and freeware).

Are you using a bare.i kernel now? (From Slackware). It should try out several different sound chips for you at boot time.

Steven's kernel is designed only for use with sb, but might work with some other chips if you can first determine which module your chip needs.