baslinux - Re: [BL] abiword update?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] abiword update?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:19:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Abiword from SW91 asked me to install more than
16 packages,

Steven, how did you get around this need for 16 packages,

I installed all the necessary packages on my system
and then compiled a static binary (without dependencies).
That's why AbiWord works on BL2 and BL3.

Abiword works on BL2 with X but not with the delilinux Xvesa, which does not work with xset. I have two video cards that I cannot get to work in X (I did not try with the 16-color VGA server because Abiword does not work with 16 colors).

It works in BL3 with the Xvesa that Steven compiled statically.

It won't work at all with xfbdev because it is missing some file extension.

I just got Abiword working in BL2 using the Xvesa from BL3. I had for some reason thought I would need to use the BL3 xset with it so did not think of this until now.

Did Steven use later source code for Xvesa? Xvesa that came with BL3 is 869580 bytes, Feb 16 2004.

The delilinux dynamically compiled version is 945896, Aug 28, 2004.

I have another statically compiled version, 816460 bytes, Jan 31, 2005.

Steven, how does this differ from what came in BL3? It does NOT work with abiword and it is statically compiled. Different library? Should I just delete it?

My best video card, an AGP S3Trio3D in which framebuffer, svgalib, Xvesa all work, won't display at all with X, which I thought Abiword needed.

Why might this card, using the S3Virge server, insist on using only modes that require HSync above 70KHz? I have modelines for many others for lower resolutions and also for 1024x768 at lower HSync. The server deletes all the modes it can find and then gives up because my monitor goes to only 70KHz. whatvga2, svgalib and Xvesa work at 1600x1200.

Online research found me one site where people with Debian gave up and used the VGA16 server, and another where they got the card to work in X at 8-bit color and 1024 resolution max.

Is X needed for anything if you can get Xvesa to work? I have one laptop and two Tseng cards that don't work with Xvesa but two of them work with X, and two Matrox cards that don't work with X but work with Xvesa.

Should it not be possible to get X working using the same frequencies as Xvesa? Do I need to add my own modelines like I did for the laptop?

  • Re: [BL] abiword update?, sindi keesan, 11/20/2005