baslinux - Re: [BL] Usefull software for BasicLinux?

  • From: Markus Laire <markus AT laire.info>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Usefull software for BasicLinux?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:39:21 +0200

On 11/2/05, David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/1/05, Markus Laire <markus AT laire.info> wrote:

> > Also - is BL3.32 good for this kind of project or should I consider
> > something else? (BL1, BL2, something totally different)?
>
> It really depends on what you want. If you use Slackware 4 packages
> with 7.1 kernels, you will come closest to a standard BL3 configuration.
> You will be able to do about as much as you can without touching a
> compiler or compromising memory requirements. However, you will see
> some limitations. New hardware will not work with your distribution. And
> you will not be able to take advantage of bugfixes and features which
> have been released since those Slackwares were released. (Except
> for binaries which you can find online.) But if that is what you want, it
> will work fine.

For this project, I don't care too much if newer hardware doesn't work
- I just want to get as comprehensive linux as possible for those
computers where newer distributions won't work.

I'd like to support even 8086, but that might not be possible.
(ELKS http://elks.sourceforge.net/ is still in development)

--
Markus Laire