baslinux - [BL] Usefull software for BasicLinux?

  • From: Markus Laire <markus AT laire.info>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Usefull software for BasicLinux?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:02:23 +0200

I've been thinking about creating a comprehensive linux-CD (or a set
of few CDs) for the really low-end machines. BasicLinux 3.32 is nice
for this as it works with 386, 3MB as a minimum.

The CD(s) would include of course the basic packages (bl3-32.zip &
bl3-32fd.zip), and then a lot of extra stuff which works with
BasicLinux.

There are few add-ons at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/index.htm

And then
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/
tells about these possible additions:
* /kernels from Slackware 7.1
* /modules from Slackware 7.1
* /slakware from Slackware 4.0

But then there are many comments on this list about software from
other Slackware-versions also.

So I'm a bit confused about what stuff I should include from which
Slackware-versions? (I can't include full Slackware-archive from 4.0
to 10.2, but I have been thinking about including a full archive of a
single Slackware-version)

The CD(s) should be usable as is, without any Internet-connection to
download extra packages -- so when you get in front of an old
computer, and you have a task to do, you could install BasicLinux and
the needed programs from the CD(s) to do the task.

So I'd like to get some help about what I should include on such a CD(s).

Also - is BL3.32 good for this kind of project or should I consider
something else? (BL1, BL2, something totally different)?

--
Markus Laire