baslinux - Re: [BL] Abiword in Bl2 was Re: dosemu? wp51?

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Abiword in Bl2 was Re: dosemu? wp51?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:55:54 -0700

On 8/18/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > I will use a text editor (which does work properly under dosemu except
> for
> > a few features) on short files with short lines, and maybe some day learn
> > to type rtf tags for center or underline. Or Abiword once I set it up
> for
> > BL2 (I need to add xset or something that David explained). I could also
> > do my typing with the text editor and import the file into Abiword to add
> > underlines, which would certainly be easier to learn if not to do.
>
> I added xset (from xbin.tgz) to BL2 and all the dependencies are present.
> (In BL3 I do not have dependency libX11.so.6 but Abiword works anyway).

I thought that BL3 came with libX11.so.6.

> Before this and on the other computer, typing abiword gives me
> error messages:
>
> "AbiWord could not load the following font or fontset from the X Window
> System display server:
> ....Times New Roman - regular .......
>
> Often this error is the result of invoking AbiWord directly instead of
> through its wrapper shell script. The script dynamically adds the
> AbiSuite font directory to your X Window System display server font path
> before running the executable."
>
> Where do I get a wrapper shell script?

It comes with the BL3 abiword.tgz package. It is located at
/usr/local/AbiSuite/bin/AbiWord.

> It is not needed in BL3, is it?

It is needed in BL3.

> I tried adding to /etc/profile ':/usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts' (without the '
> ') which did not help. Where is the X display server font path specified?

On full-size XFree86, it is specified in XF86Config. Sometimes the X
font server also provides fonts for X. Otherwise, you can add additional
font paths with xset. On both Xvesa and full-size X, you can add
additional font paths on the Xserver command line.

> Steven must have done something clever to get it to work in BL3.

He statically compiled it, for one thing. I think he also needed to modify
xinit or something like that so that Xvesa would work with it.

> Clicking OK got me back to the rxvt with:
> Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing or display ":0.0".

Did this error come from xset?

> Has David or Steven or anyone successfully used the static abiword in BL2?

I haven't tried to use it in BL2.

Since the script seems to not work for you, try running xset first (to set up
the font path):

xset +fp /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts/

Now check that this worked (use xset q to display the new font path).

Make sure that /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts contains the fonts and that there
are no broken links or missing fonts.dir/alias files.

AbiWord should work now. You can run the actual binary with
/usr/local/AbiSuite//bin/AbiWord_s (but you will probably need to
use the AbiWord script to set up the environment variables).

David