baslinux - [BL] Abiword in Bl2 was Re: dosemu? wp51?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Abiword in Bl2 was Re: dosemu? wp51?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:16:08 +0000 (UTC)

I will use a text editor (which does work properly under dosemu except for
a few features) on short files with short lines, and maybe some day learn
to type rtf tags for center or underline. Or Abiword once I set it up for
BL2 (I need to add xset or something that David explained). I could also
do my typing with the text editor and import the file into Abiword to add
underlines, which would certainly be easier to learn if not to do.

I added xset (from xbin.tgz) to BL2 and all the dependencies are present. (In BL3 I do not have dependency libX11.so.6 but Abiword works anyway).

I installed the abiword.tgz for BL3, on two computers.

On one of them (with Tseng card) when I type exit in the rxvt (similarly to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) Xvesa goes crazy. Colored screen with some scrambled colors at the top. Hitting Enter changes the screen color from green to magenta to .....

Apparently Xvesa does not like Tseng cards. I will eventually try xfbdev and/or svga X server with generic config file.

Before this and on the other computer, typing abiword gives me
error messages:

"AbiWord could not load the following font or fontset from the X Window System display server:
....Times New Roman - regular .......

Often this error is the result of invoking AbiWord directly instead of through its wrapper shell script. The script dynamically adds the AbiSuite font directory to your X Window System display server font path before running the executable."

Where do I get a wrapper shell script? It is not needed in BL3, is it?
I tried adding to /etc/profile ':/usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts' (without the ' ') which did not help. Where is the X display server font path specified?
Steven must have done something clever to get it to work in BL3.

I clicked OK and got the same message again (or very similar to it).

Clicking OK got me back to the rxvt with:
Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing or display ":0.0".
Then three Gdk-WARNINGS about locale set to C, cannot se locale modifiers, and Error converting icon name to text property: -2

This same Abiword works in BL3 on this computer when I chroot.
(xterm is not working though. It flashes onscreen and then off again. I do not have xterm in BL3, just rxvt, and icewm is set up to load xterm xterm rxvt. No idea how that got there. Changing to three rxvts does not help either. Something about chrooting? Abiword works from the menu.)

Has David or Steven or anyone successfully used the static abiword in BL2?