baslinux - Re: opti 82C929A works with OSS Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: opti 82C929A works with OSS Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:16:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> How would I automate this, perhaps by putting all the insmods in rc
> except for the mad16 itself?

Good idea. This should work if a delay is all that is needed.

> I am about to set up a Basiclinux
> computer for the high-school-age son of a friend who views it as a
> big upgrade from Redhat 6.2 (which he figured out how to get to
> boot into CLI).

I am surprised that a distro as old as that would not boot to CLI
by default.

> He likes to listen to MIDI files - my next
> challenge (non-AWE midi).

Does the card in question (opti929) do OPL3? I did a cursory
search but couldn't find anything relevant (mostly Windows
drivers). opti929+linux actually turned up your recent post
to this list as the 8th result. The 930 doesn't seem to have
any hardware MIDI.

If the hardware fails, there is always Timidity, which will
probably produce better sound than anything built into a
sound card.

> He is willing to switch over completely
> as long as he can use the programs he compiled for Redhat 6.2 - is
> that the same library as BL3?

No, glibc 2.1.x, probably roughly equivalent to BL2/Slackware 7.1.

> I was going to put on both 2 and 3,
> with chroot scripts. He is interested in the games,

There are many to try if you are willing to dig deep enough.

> and Abiword,

Steven's excellent binary for BL3 is statically compiled, and should
work anywhere there is ix86 Linux.

> and RPM (I told him rpm2tgz
> would help)

You can also install full RPM, but rpm2tgz is easier.

> and Gnumeric - does that require GNOME?

It doesn't need GNOME. It does need many different libraries.

> > What I would do:
> >
> > insmod up to and including mad16
> > until (echo >/dev/dsp); do rmmod mad16; insmod mad16 (mad16
> > parameters go here); done
>
> That is essentially what I have had to do to get this to work.
> But if I separate the steps - all but mad16 in rc, and the mad16
> line when needed, will that also work?

Yes, it's the same idea.

> Why does ALSA not work with the same module for 929 and 931?

Because the 931 has different features?

> Are the BL3 games statically compiled (will they work in BL2?).

I don't think so. I posted modifications for two different games
at my website. You might have a look over there. Please let me
know if my descriptions of them are too confusing.

You can find BL2 binaries for all of the BL3 games. I will post
the list of URLs to get them from if you want it.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com