baslinux - Re: opti 82C929A works with OSS Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: opti 82C929A works with OSS Re: [BL] Re: Interrupts and isapnp
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:38:58 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I then tried again with insmod mad16, same settings.
> This time the mad16 was listed in /proc/interrupts and I could play
> with sox and mpg123.
>
> I did a rmmod and ran my script again, with the same results as
> the first time I ran my script - error messages instead of sound,
> no mad16 in /proc/interrupts. If I then insmodded mad16 on a
> separate line CLI it worked again.
>
> I did not have this problem with the Opti931 or at least I don't
> recall having it if I ran the script (where irq=5).
>
> Why does insmod mad16 NOT work in a script?

ad1848 isn't blocking the insmods properly. So it's not ready
for mad16 to be insmodded until afterward.

> Should I be putting in
> some sort of pause like I had to do for a script with plip, which
> also worked CLI but not via script otherwise?

You could try that, but it may fail if you don't wait the proper
amount of time.

What I would do:

insmod up to and including mad16
until (echo >/dev/dsp); do rmmod mad16; insmod mad16 (mad16 parameters go
here); done

This loops until something is successfully written to /dev/dsp.
This will not work if you need to wait a certain amount of time
between insmod attempts. You will need to add sleep if that is
the case.

> And why did pnpdump not check the card for higher io addresses?

No idea here. It may not be capable of doing that.

> I have not found reference to ANYONE getting the 929 to work in
> OSS. ALSA has a separate 929 module. I have it working with the
> same mad16 module as the 930 and 931.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It may be rare
enough that no one has tried it with mad16 and reported.

> Why do the ES and ALS cards work as sb in linux but not in DOS, and
> the Opti works in DOS to play midi but not wav files? Is this a
> case of partial SBPro emulation and they only cared about midi
> files because games use those?

MIDI files are a completely different kettle of fish. The SBPro
emulation may be suspect, as you suggest.

> One Reveal card won't even fit into my computer because it is so
> long it hits either a capacitor or the CPU fan. The Acers are
> shorter tho they have only 2 not 4 CD-ROM connectors. The Reveal
> may be larger because they were kind enough to clearly print out
> jumper settings in a blank spot. This card may not actually be
> opti 929 - ungluing the reveal sticker revealed a blank chip
> underneath and the io settings are 220 or 240 with nothing about
> 534. Crystal CS4248 whereas the others are CS 4231. Someone
> posted a 4248 driver for Windows.

It is probably compatible. The Crystal chips do emulation of
various standard cards.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com