baslinux - [BL] FAT bread failed while attempting to load loop BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] FAT bread failed while attempting to load loop BL3
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 14:06:56 +0000 (UTC)

We now have three computers - two Gateway Intel boards with PII, and one other board with PI cpu (7/15/1995 AmiBios on this one), which in both DOS 7.1 and FreeDOS will not load loop linux via the usual boot.bat method.
FAT bread file ........ (followed by a panic)

On one of the Gateways I was able to mount fs.img on /dev/loop0 manually and chroot to it, so loop works but loadlin has problems.

On one of three DFI computers where loadlin will not work consistently except from DOS 7.1 (it is sufficient to put zimage on a boot disk with DOS 7.1, or to run it from a floppy disk with DOS 7.1), we put DOS 7.1 on the hard drive and have not yet tried booting BL2 but now we have a new problem - syschk does not work, just produces screen garbage and beeps until you reboot. The computer worked perfectly with DR-DOS except for loadlin, which worked when it felt like it.

Should we try a different hard drive, or just hope syschk is an anomaly?
We don't yet have linux on here.

On a fourth computer, both syschk and SB16 diagnose display in grey and white rather than color (with S3Trio3D video which worked properly on the Gateway). Image viewers work okay and linux works fine, including graphics and sound.

We will load BL3 ext2 using the parport zip drive rather than from loop. This has worked perfectly on three other computers already, using a .tar file (not zipped, it takes longer and we have enough space since BL3 including DOSemu etc. is 37MB and people have started giving us 6G hard drives) to avoid truncating long file names since the zip disk is formatted in DOS.