baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 conneting via ADSL

  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant AT indo.net.id>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 conneting via ADSL
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:28:09 +0700

On Thursday 12 May 2005 21:06, James Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> > The problem starts with the fact that a modern distro has done everything
> > more or less auto-magically and painless. If I have to do it by hand I am
> > completely lost. You are right in the assumption that I need to get BL2
> > to issue a dhcp request. Hope it is possible ;-).
>
> Ok, that gets us what is most likely the information we need most. It
> shoudn't be very hard to get a dhcp client installed on BL2, and to make
> it run automatically at bootup.

> PS If your modem/router doesn't have any firewalling capability built in,
> I strongly encourage you to get or configure (on Suse, I suppose) a
> firewall. No broadband connection in this day and age should be without a
> firewall: it's absolutely essential for your network's (and everyone
> else's) security.
Well the package says Nat firewall.
That is not the only thing I have to Google for. The whole sentence which I
am
trying to understand reads as follows:

IP Routing, DHPC, DNS, DMZ, NAT Firewall, Port forwarding, VPN Passthrough.

What I like is that it automatically detects of a cable is straight or
cross-over. It seems to have a web based management but I surely are not able
to tell if that is perhaps the URL that was used by the technicians.