baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 conneting via ADSL

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 conneting via ADSL
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:06:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

The problem starts with the fact that a modern distro has done everything more
or less auto-magically and painless. If I have to do it by hand I am
completely lost. You are right in the assumption that I need to get BL2 to
issue a dhcp request. Hope it is possible ;-).

Ok, that gets us what is most likely the information we need most. It shoudn't be very hard to get a dhcp client installed on BL2, and to make it run automatically at bootup. I'm going to step aside and let someone else tell you more precisely which package to install and which startup script to edit. I don't use BL with any regularity these days so, though I've done what you are trying to do previously on BL, I don't have the information readily at hand. If no one pipes in with details about which package you need to install for a dhcp client and which config file you need to edit and how, I'll start massaging the memory banks and see if I can provide any more specific information for you.

James

PS If your modem/router doesn't have any firewalling capability built in, I strongly encourage you to get or configure (on Suse, I suppose) a firewall. No broadband connection in this day and age should be without a firewall: it's absolutely essential for your network's (and everyone else's) security.