baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 conneting via ADSL

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 conneting via ADSL
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:06:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

Since three days one of my computers is connected with the Internet via an
ADSL modem/ router.

I'm not familiar with such a thing as a "modem /router." In the US, ADSL requires a particular type of modem, which is a separate piece of hardware that filters internet packets from your telephone line and sends them over ethernet to a computer or other ethernet-capable device. Another ethernet-capable device that often figures in right after the ADSL modem is a router (or switch). Perhaps you were saying that you have this sort of setup, i.e., an ADSL modem that feeds into a router via an ethernet cable? So, your setup would be: [ADSL modem]----->[router]----->[Suse box]. Does that approximate your setup? I.e., the ADSL modem and router are two separate hardware pieces that connect together via ethernet? And, furthermore, you connect your computers to the router? If this is the scenario, you'll need to tell us more about your router.

My BL2 box is connected to this router and should be able to start using this
connection too if I only would know what to change/do.

Ok. Supposing your router has a dhcp server, you'll need to get BL2 to issue a dhcp request. Most modern routers do incorporate a dhcp server, I think. But even in those cases, a user can often specify that it should use static addressing instead of, or in addition to, dhcp. So, until you tell us whether your network and devices use static adressing or whether a dhcp server is involved, I don't think we can answer how to get BL2 on your network. Perhaps telling us how your Suse box managed to get online will help?

On my Suse box it was very easy. On the BL2 box I assume it is more work but
it should still be manageable.
Could somebody show me the way?

Please describe more about how the Suse box got online. What, more precisely, does "it was very easy" mean? As a guess, I would say "it was very easy" could mean you just plugged an ethernet cable from the NIC on your Suse box to an ethernet port on the router, started up the Suse box, and it automagically got online. If this is the way it went, I would guess the following: your router runs a dhcp server and Suse, being a modern distro, auto-detected your NIC and sent out a dhcp request on it when you started the machine. Modern distros are usually set to issue dhcp requests on whatever NIC they find. BL2, on the other hand, requires some manual intervention (installing a dhcp client) and editing of a config file (so dhcp runs on the NIC at startup) to do this.

So, based on what I've said, do you think your router might be running a dhcp server? Or have you perhaps done some manual, static address assigning? Or are my assumptions about your setup wrong? The answers to your query will be different based on your answers to these sorts of questions.

James