baslinux - Re: [BL] a very strange laptop

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] a very strange laptop
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:40:15 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> This is a 'b' 2.4GHz 11Mbit - we were told this is the slowest. Do
> we need a newer card? Would 2.2.16 support something that is still
> compatible with other hardware? The b's are cheaper at ebay.

2.2.16 can't even handle 802.11b wireless cards IIRC.

> > Why not? A winmodem doesn't take up a COM port.
>
> Windows found it in Com3.

Serial port emulation, no doubt.

> It also says it is X2 so I suspect we now have a 33K winmodem.

For "real" winmodems, the speed is affected by the driver which is
used.

> We passed along a Mac laptop
> with 56K PCMCIA modem to a neighbor who may not be using the modem
> - are Mac modems hardware style?

The only thing Mac-specific on modern Macintoshes are the CPU and
motherboard. Modern Macs have PCI slots, take IDE drives, and the
standard PC-style RAM.

> I should have expected the X2
> since it is a 1997 computer, the year they had three 56K standards
> battling it out.

My hardware modem came from '98, it was originally X2 but I upgraded
it to v.90 with a flash utility.

> I make lots of typos, none quite as much fun as the degrees centipede.

A thermometer with hundreds of legs?

> Is cardmgr not a program with library dependencies?

I forgot about that. You probably just need libc5 and ld.

A better question would be, "why don't you just use pcmcia.tgz"?

> We were thinking of putting on BL3 anyway to use with dosemu since
> the later version was not working last we checked (no A or S in
> CLI).

Have you gotten dosemu to work?

> Do we need to worry about firewall stuff if someone else has set up
> the DSL line properly?

No. You're not running any servers, are you?

> I don't recall if Steven added a wireless section to the pcmcia
> setup. Perhaps if not, he could post at his site an expanded file
> containing that and what I got working for the pcmcia CF adaptor
> (the generic version, not the manuf specific one). Was there
> something specific needed from the BL3 kernel to do PCMCIA? Would
> BL2 kernel also work? Could I compile a 2.2.16 that would work and
> also do wireless ethernet? (Once I fix my symlinks).

I think PCI support was all that was needed in the older kernels for
PCMCIA, since the modules came in a separate package.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com