baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Basiclinux 3 and KDE

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Lee Jones <slothpuck AT gmail.com>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Basiclinux 3 and KDE
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 21:46:01 +0000 (UTC)

Follow the link from the BL3 site to add-ons and the last add-on is no-xvesa.tgz, which, if you add the SW4.0 Xsvga.tgz (spelling?) might work on this computer at 800x600x256. I have what may be the same computer, on which Xvesa only works in 4 colors and I cannot use Xconfig or startx with it, I have to type in Xvesa -screen 640x480x2 &rxvt -e icewm.

The package is only about 30K, but the svga server expands to about 3MB. This is still a lot less than the 10MB required by all the X packages for BL2.

Please let me know if this works. I have not yet tried it.

If your 486 does not have a CD-ROM drive either, you can try serial or parallel cable file transfer to it from a computer which does, rather than a modem download of the larger file. See the plip instructions in netsetup. That is how we add files to ours.

We could not get this chipset to display many colors in DOS either, except in Compushow with Paradise driver. It does not appear to be VESA compatible. Which X driver worked for you from Slackware?

James may have the same video chipset.