baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer kernel with matroxfb module

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer kernel with matroxfb module
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 14:06:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I am still experimenting with the framebuffer kernel that David
> Moberg compiled.

> His kernel boots properly. I can then insmod fbcon-cfb4 followed
> by insmod matroxfb (you need both in that order).

> mode "640x480-60"
> geometry 640 480 640 3276 8 This is 8-bit color at 640x480
> timings 39683......
> accel true The millenium module improves accel
> rgba 8/0, 8/0, 8/0, 0/0 I need to change this part for xfbdev
> endmode
>
> Perhaps I can just copy this into the mode config file and manually add
> 800x600-60 (should the 60 be changed?) and rgba 16/0

You will need to recompute the timings. I will send you an example
fbset.conf after I have made it. The timings will be based upon
XFree86.

> Does anyone know what fbcon-cfb4.o has to do with 8-bit color, if
> anything? Or whether I need fbcon-cfb16.o for 16-bit color? David
> provided modules for fbcon-cfb2.o and fbcon-cfb4.o. The latter was
> needed by matroxfb. The former would insmod but I don't know what
> it does. I think they are something to do with color depth in text
> mode and I have 8-bit color with cfb4.

According to fbcon-cfb4.c itself, it is "Low level frame buffer
operations for 4 bpp packed pixels". About the only other thing that I
know is that the Linux console works with exactly 16 colors. Even with
framebuffer, 16 colors are all that are available. To access more,
a piece of software needs to write directly to the /dev/fb device,
instead of relying upon the basic TTY escape codes.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com