baslinux - Re: [BL] RE: display settings

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] RE: display settings
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:41:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, NRK wrote:

I am not certain that I understand the question. I am a bit confused about the question of the settings in the Xvesa file. Nevertheless, the settings that I can refer to in Xconfig are as follows:

640x480 standard VGA
3 button mouse

standard VGA is 4-bit color (16 colors) and will work on almost anything that does color (but not on some Chips and Technologies/Paradise laptops, which do only 4 colors in linux but more in DOS or Windows)

Other settings applied such as 640x480x12 for more color, or 800x600 via Xsetup resulted in with a distorted display.

You probably also chose 640x480x12. There is no 12-bit video mode but Steven put it as one of the choices rather than 16, I don't know why. If your video card supports 15-bit color, you will get that if you ask for 12, otherwise you get 8-bit, which looks very odd (like a 3-year-old colored it in) and is not really usable.

If you have 1MB video ram try typing into Xconfig

640x480x24
or 800x600x16

If you have 2MB you can try
1024x768x16

Or type
Xvesa -listmodes

then select anything from there that does not say pseudocolor.
Pseudocolor is 256 colors (8-bit color depth) and Xvesa cannot do it right.

I am assuming you have a color monitor.

Nate