baslinux - Re: [BL] downloadable Linux guest for a MS XP host

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] downloadable Linux guest for a MS XP host
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:55:21 -0500

t.maiden AT att.net wrote:

I am looking for a downloadable version of Linux that will run on a Windows XP machine as a guest of XP. I found 2 that looked promising at first, CoLinux and DragonLinux, but each had difficulties that made them impractical. I suspect the problems stem with the way XP has been re-developed from earlier Windows. All the PCs I have to work with are XP. These PCs have been setup in a way that makes them impossible to reboot from a floppy drive or the CD-ROM drive. The college doesn't want us students messing with them, but being able to run some kind of Linux on them would be handy. I am taking a UNIX/Linux System Admin. class...

I'd really recommend you take a second look at CoLinux. Besides DragonLinux, you have _no other options_, unless of course you can use something like Qemu or VMWare, but VMWare costs a fortune and Qemu is quite slow and a little unstable under Windows. I currently distribute a version of BLAG Linux and GNU ( www.blagblagblag.org ) specially designed for CoLinux (distros have to be specially designed for it). If you are interested, please contact me.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement