baslinux - [BL] More fun with FreeDOS

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] More fun with FreeDOS
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:30:32 +0000 (UTC)

My partner reported that FreeDOS fdisk cannot find any fixed disks, so we tried floppy boot with it on all our computers and so far only two are affected. Of these computers, as least one also won't boot at all with floppy disk FreeDOS (divide by zero error) with about 10 of 12 hard drives we tested. One Caviar works as master, one 'identical' one as slave but not as master (both 540MB) and a pile of Caviar and Conner 170-540MB and a Fujitsu prevent FreeDOS from booting at all. The computer that is fussy about drives also won't boot from bootable CD-ROM so something is wrong with the BIOS (we set it to boot) but I was running linux on it fine (from DR-DOS) for about 6 months.

The computers are circa 1996-97 - is it worth reporting this as a bug?
The drives are 1996 or older.

FreeDOS fdisk can make four primary DOS partitions.
Linux fdisk can make partitions that work where PQMagic fails (after a partition table gets corrupted). So the fdisk problem is not terribly important but beware of FreeDOS on Pentium I computers. It does now let you use loadlin with emm386, and only MS DOS 7.10 and DR-DOS do besides.