baslinux - Re: [BL] How do you set eth0 for a block of IPs?

  • From: "Carl Reaburn" <carlreaburn AT attech.net.au>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How do you set eth0 for a block of IPs?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:40:15 +1100

Carl Reaburn wrote:

I have found BL3 has things in different places to
what the how-to pages suggest.
BL1 by comparison had everything named the same as the
how-to pages suggested, as well as great documentation
inside the config files themselves.

BL1 was designed to be used as a firewall. Few people
used that capability, so it was removed in BL2. As far
as things being in different places, BL3 uses one startup
file (/etc/rc) while most systems have a bunch of startup
files in a separate directory ( /etc/rc.d/ or similar).
Just stick your firewall commands in /etc/rc.

Thanks. That is one of the things I had to work out.

Another difference between BL1 and BL3 is: the 2.0 kernel
(BL1) uses ipfwadm and the 2.2 kernel (BL2,BL3) uses ipchains.
So the config commands are different.

Yes. I have the bare.i kernel in now so ipchains work.

I had no trouble setting up BL1 without any help.
I thought BL3 would be the same,

The ipchains-HOWTO has a table of differences so you should
be able to translate your working config from BL1.

I'm not too worried about ipchains vs ipfwadm as they don't seem that different. On the BL1 machine I have a firewall script that has three modes. "firewall open" "firewall closed" and "firewall safe". With Open permitting all traffic, Closed blocking all, and safe blocking all but specific ports on specific IPs. I even messed with the ppp dialer script so that it would reboot the machine if the connection went down for more 5 mins. I routed a block of 64 IPs through my dialup connection to the internal Ethernet perfectly. BL1 was the only linux I could find that supported multi IPs on a dialup. So naturally I moved to BL3 when I upgraded to DSL.

Now I want to duplicate it's function with a DSL connection and a block of IP's supplied by my ISP. I'm having trouble assigning more than one IP to the Incoming side of the firewall. ie. eth0.

I hope you don't think me a fool.

Anybody who can successfully run a firewall on BL1 is
definitely not a fool.

Thanks. I just don't remember having so much trouble with BL1. I'm almost tempted to go back to it, except I want to be able to block pings etc.