baslinux - [BL] Kernel compilation

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasLinux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Kernel compilation
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:44:58 +0000 (UTC)

I would like to compile a kernel based on the .config posted for BL3 but with most of the modules built-in, for use on a Pentium I (or II) desktop with Cd-ROM drive, modem, ethernet card, PCI slots, no PCMCIA, sound, real scsi scanner (with the card drive loaded as a module), CD-burner (with scsi emulation), and the possibility of scsi, parport (scsi emulation) and internal IDE zip drives (none of which I have working yet in linux). I don't need NLS that I know of (I will be working in English other than loading other fonts or using a browser with other charsets once in a while). I would also like to have the parport and printer capabilities in the kernel.

Someone please correct me if the following changes to the .config file are wrong:

CONFIG_M386=n (no math emulation)
_586=y (pentium)
_parport=y (instead of parport.o and parport_pc.o -
but how would I deal with the case of TWO parallel ports? Do I somehow need to give both addresses? Right now only lp0 prints.)
_printer=y (instead of lp.o)
_scsi=y (instead of scsi_mod.o, sr_mod.o, sg.o)
_ppp=y (instead of slhc.o and ppp.o)
nfs, sunrpc and lockd=n - what are these for?
_idecd=y (all three cd-rom modules)
nls=n - any other changes if I work only in English?
sound=y (soundcore, soundlow, sound, midi, uart modules - but I
would still need to insmod sb.o with parameters)

Scsi emulating devices (internal IDE and external parport zip drives, cd burner):

Rather than compile a separate kernel for each computer, I would continue to use ide-scsi.o and specify which ide devices is scsi emulated (cd-burner on one computer, internal zip drive on another, parport zip drive on a third) with loadlin and insmod. Otherwise I would have to make sure these were all the same /hdx.

Half of my computers have mda (Hercules cards) but I can continue to use the module (and to specify which terminal is used).

I know the above will take up more RAM but all of our desktop pentiums now have loads of RAM and we don't ever seem to use more than 16M of it at a time for anything. I compiled a special kernel for 486 laptop (without math emulation, pcmcia, sound, nfs, nls, scsi, ethernet). Would anyone else like a copy of it? It is maybe 20K smaller.

I am also willing to compile a custom kernel for someone who needs specific hardware added to the basic BL3 or BL2 configuration since I am set up for compiling the kernel already, if you can provide the configuration (or tell me what to change and how). Or post the one I plan to compile (which is not suitable for a pentium laptop - no pcmcia support) or use in other languages.