baslinux - Re: [BL] bl3 manual

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl3 manual
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 01:48:40 +0000 (UTC)

I bet people would appreciate it if you put this comparison (and maybe also added BL2) at the three BL websites so they could choose appropriately.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

what does BL1 do differently or better than BL3?

BL1 BL3
complete (bare.i) kernel stripped kernel
older (2.0) kernel slightly newer (2.2)
real bash busybox sh
real init/login busybox init
supports foreign keyboard doesn't support foreign
vgalib graphics X graphics
little use of graphics several X applications
older, smaller busybox new busybox - more utilities
no support for laptops support for laptops
difficult to modify easy to modify
requires 8mb RAM boots with 3mb RAM

BL1 has ftp, which several people have requested for later versions.
By 'support for laptops' do you mean pcmcia?

You can add SW3 or 4 bash to BL3.

I found BL3 much easier to install to hd than 2 or 1. I presume above you are comparing ramdisk BL1 with loop BL3. Does HD BL1 work in 4MB RAM?