baslinux - Re: [BL] syslinux where loadlin fails and lilo was not installed

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] syslinux where loadlin fails and lilo was not installed
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:02:36 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

> What exactly can lilo do to damage the partition? Is this software or
> hardware damage? It is one of our larger nicer drives.

I think this is just a warning for Windows users, who might have
difficulty booting their Windows if Lilo takes over the mbr (unless they
know how to edit lilo.conf). You could try installing lilo in the
superblock of its partition rather than in the mbr, then using smb to boot
your Linux partition. If you look on the web you can find out how to
install lilo to the superblock from the command line--I recall the bootit
boot loader having an item on this in their FAQ. A Slack or other major
distro install should give you this option on installation: it should ask
you where to install lilo--to the mbr or to the partition. Maybe that
could address this machine's problems?

James